Having just put the final touch on the outfit tonight, I'm pretty darn happy with it.
Check it out...
Mary Poppins didn't skimp on her "fluff", so this dress needed a petticoat. I based my design off of a 3-tiered skirt, and simply added a second layer of the bottom two tiers.
My friend decided that she didn't want the traditional pink and red colors for this dress, and she chose blue instead. The dress is made with a soft blue broadcloth base and then an organza overlay. This is a back-view of the dress, which I closed with a zipper.
This is a front-view of the dress. Mary Poppins' dress features a girdle-type piece which I did not make for this dress, as my friend owns a leather middle-cinch that will be taking its place. Since this dress will be worn for steampunkery, this is completely appropriate.
An inside-view; since I was working with organza, I worried that the inner seams were going to become scratchy. This problem was solved with a bit of patience, a lining, and some bias tape.
I love hats, making hats, wearing hats, and decorating hats. I managed to find this hat at Target and then decorated it up a bit. The hat-band is braided suede and ribbon, tacked down with pearls, and those three little rosettes are actually made out of metal!
Finally, I make a hat-scarf out of the remaining organza from the dress. Mary Poppins has one, but after trying on the hat with the scarf myself, I have a feeling my friend will make it an optional accessory.
All in all, this ensemble took me about a week and half worth of time and, as JoAnn's Fabrics loves feeding the bargain hunter and coupon clipper in me, the fabrics were extremely reasonable in cost.