But, I got back to "winging it" (har de har har) tonight...
Un-pictured is the night that I spent with Dear, Old Dad engineering the boning and setting it, which is to say that Dear, Old Dad asked me what I wanted, and then whisked away my wings in order to make it happen. In any case, this was the result.
The big *sha-bang* with these wings is that I plan to have them light up. Pictured here is a floral stem with some LED lights on the ends and its accompanying battery pack.
I slid the floral stem in between the two layers of fabric and proceeded to mold the stems into something looking like the vein-work you'd see on a butterfly's wing.
I chose a gold color of embroidery floss to stitch my "veins" into place, ensuring that they will stay molded as I've commanded. The gold highlights the design nicely, but I think that if I ever do this again, I'll be molding the "veins" differently.
And here we are, all lit up!
Now, I just have to figure out how I am going to wear the darned things.